Thursday, August 28, 2014

You think I don't have enemies, think again

I have an enemy that is constantly after me. It is everywhere I look. I swear it is so hard to resist it. I know it can only bring bad things to my life if I allow it in yet all too often I not only let it in but welcome it.  I can't tell you how many books, articles, t.v. episodes etc. I have been exposed to that talk about the dangers of letting this have a part in my life yet I ignore the warnings and say come on in.  Why do I do this?  I have given God control over other areas of my life why not this? Ok, honesty, straight up.  I want this in my life! I seek it out.  I sometimes feel powerless to avoid it. It thwarts positive efforts in my life to be a healthy, well balanced person. 
OK, enough beating around the bush. My enemy does have a name, SUGAR! Yes, sugar. That wonderful, sweet ingredient in so many things I dearly love - candy, cookies, cake etc.
 
Why would I go out and run a hard two miles and then sit down and eat a package of Oreo cookies?Why do I buy bags of licorice allsorts, set them on my desk and eat them one at a time for the two hours I am sitting there working. Why can't I walk past the dessert table at potlucks without having one of each?  I confess I do not have the answers.  I don't blame it on the devil, it's my choice.  I don't blame God, He certainly has nothing to do with it.  I can't blame my wife who allows me to make my own choices, bless her heart.  Sometimes I wish she would just kick my butt all the way up to my shoulder blades when I open a package of candy. 
 
No, I have only myself to blame.  The craving for sugar is something over which I just need to exercise more control.  I can't control the attraction but I don't have to give in to it. You may say why worry about it, just enjoy life and have your candy too.  Here are 10 reasons I found that probably make this not a good option: (from Authority Nutrition)
 
1.       Sugar contains no essential nutrients and is bad for your teeth
2.      Sugar is high in fructose which can overload your liver
3.       Overloading the liver with fructose can cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
4.       Sugar can cause insulin resistance, a stepping stone towards metabolic syndrome and diabetes
5.       Insulin resistance can progress to type 2 diabetes
6.       Sugar can give you cancer
7.       Due to its effects on hormones and the brain, sugar has unique fat-promoting effects
8.       Sugar causes massive dopamine release in the brain and is therefore highly addictive
9.       Sugar is a leading contributor to obesity in both children and adults
10.   It ain’t the fat…it’s sugar that raises your cholesterol and gives you heart disease
So my struggle against sugar must continue, or maybe I should say it must start.  I eat healthy in most other ways and do a lot of exercise, trying to live a strong healthy life. I have always said that I would like to live to be a healthy 100 yrs old, guess I had better get started on the sugar thing eh?
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Good post! I had no idea that fructose could affect the liver. Learn something new every day...

    ReplyDelete

This is The Chaotic Christian

This is The Chaotic Christian